Nuts + Bolts: the party snack of holiday gatherings near and far.
As a child both my mother and my grandma made ice cream pails and Tupperware containers full of the stuff! You couldn’t walk past the counter without grabbing a taste.
We snacked on bowls in the weeks leading up to Christmas break, while we decorated the tree and it became the snack of choice while watching CBC Christmas family night movies.
Every family seems to have a slight spin on what dry cereals to include or which combo of seasonings make the cut. I’m open to seasoning switch ups but you better not mess with the Shreddies, Bugles, Cheese Crackers or Chex!
Nuts + Bolts
- 6 cups Cheerios
- 6 cups Chex or Crispex cereal (or a mixture of both)
- 6 cups Shreddies
- 300 g unsalted peanuts or mixed nuts (1 small can)
- 213 g Bugles (1 bag)
- 200 g cheese crackers, square, fish or stick shaped (one box)
- 200 g pretzel sticks (1 small bag)
- 1 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp celery salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- Preheat oven to 225°F.
- In an extra large roasting pan with a lid; combine cereals, nuts, Bugles, cheese crackers and pretzels.
- In a 2 cup glass measure; whisk together the canola oil, Worcestershire and seasonings.
- Keep whisking the liquid mixture while slowing pouring half of the mixture evenly over the dry mixture that is in the roasting pan. Stir gently with large spoon being careful not to break or crush your dry ingredients.
- Whisk back together the remaining canola oil mixture and evenly pour over the dry mixture. Stir gently to fully combine.
- Put the lid on the roaster and bake for 1 hour, stir gently every 20 minutes. After 1 hour, remove the lid and continue to bake for an additional 1 hour and stir every 20 minutes. Your mixture will bake for a total of 2 hours.
- Remove from oven and allow mixture to completely cool before storing in airtight containers for up to 4 weeks.