Rhubarb. It’s the first taste that summer is almost here on the prairies. These Rhubarb Walnut Muffins are a family favourite that can be made regular size, mini or into a delicious moist loaf. Best served with coffee or enjoyed as a snack on the go. No matter where I take them I’m always asked for the recipe.
Rhubarb Walnut Muffins
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp wheat germ
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups finely diced fresh rhubarb
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350F and spray two muffin tins with canola oil cooking spray on line with muffin liners.
- In a large bowl mix together brown sugar, canola oil and the egg until well combined.
- Add milk and vanilla. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together; the flours, wheat germ, cinnamon and baking soda.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and mix until just combined.
- Fold in rhubarb and walnuts.
- Divide the batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or a toothpick comes out clean.
Mini-muffins – makes 48. Bake at 350F for 15 minutes.
Loaf – makes 2. Bake at 325F for 55 minues.